Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Results: Fiber Art Quilt

I used some of the fabric I recently screen printed, etc. and completed a fiber art quilt that I'm quite pleased with.  I think this will be a series.  I'm calling this one "Leaves 1" so now I go on to "Leaves 2" in the very near future.  So here is the result of my playing with fabric these past weeks.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Playing With Fabric and Paint

Yesterday my good friend, Kathleen came over to "play".  She worked on an unfinished project, a wonderful small art quilt.  She used a photo transfer of her dock at Webster Lake and went on from there with beautiful fabrics.  She finished the piecing and moved on to the machine quilting.  It made me want to make another one with the same process.  I made one a few years ago but maybe it's time to try another.  We'll see.  In the meantime, I enjoyed silk screening and thermofax screen printing with paint on some fabric I had previously dyed and painted.  I have an idea in mind for the fabric and might get to do some sewing tomorrow.  They say it's going to rain! 

I got my Morning Glory seeds planted (Heavenly Blue).  It's a little late but I'm hoping I'll have a few later in the summer.  My vegetable garden is planted, finally!!  We had so much rain, then I went did take some time, but it's in and GROWING.

I have some more rusted fabric hanging on the line and more all wrapped up in rusty things, making magic!

Until next time, stay cool and happy!

Friday, June 10, 2011

Home From Vacation

I had a wonderful visit with my cousins in Iowa and Illinois, sad to leave, but also happy to be home.
Today I head outside to work in the yard.  It's finally bearable.  Heat and humidity has been terrible, here and in Iowa!  Must get my tomato plants in the ground. 
Stay cool!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rust Dyeing Cotton for Quilting

This week I had some fun rust dyeing muslin again.  This is a fun technique and very easy to do. 
I mix water and vinegar, dip the muslin in it then wrap up some old rusty metal items.  Then I put it all in a plastic bag, leave it outside overnight.  I leave the bag open so some air can get in, it helps with the rusting process.  I never know what I'm going to get and that's the best part. 

The bottom two photos are of a completed Art Quiltlet I made using some of my rusty cotton.  I also used some other fabric I dyed and stamped.  The photo transfer is of the back of an old rusty pickup truck.  I altered the photo first in a photo program before printing on to cotton.