Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Quiltlet Challenge In Progress

I thought some of you might be interested in the process I used in making this small art quilt.  So here are the steps I took (as I remember them), I work intutively and don't take notes.

The word for this challenge is Rebirth.  I decided to use the wild flower Trillium because I think they are so beautiful and they arrive early in the spring when the flowers are just waking up from a long winter.

I'm using a photo my friend Ron took of a trillium. 
  • I enlarged the photo and printed it on my ink jet printer using cotton.
  • I used colored pencils and markers to add to the color. 
  • I used fusible web and added that to the back of the cotton photo. 
  • I cut out the flower. (Photo 1)
  • I fused the cotton photo on to some thin batting. (Photo 2)
  • I chose one of my hand dyed fabrics for the background.
  • I tore off the fusible on the small leaves only then fused them to the background fabric. (Photo 3)
Now I'm quilting the individual petals of the flower and will tack them onto the backing so they curve out much like the real flower.
I'm adding the backing, quilting it and bind to finish.  So far I'm pleased with how this is turning out.
I'll post a photo of the finished quiltlet very soon!

Here's the completed art quilt!
Sorry it took so long to post, I'd forgotten.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Looks so very realistic. Can't wait to see the finished piece.